WHAT IS CRANIOSACRAL?
It is where a trained therapists applies gentle pressure to structures in the craniosacral system to influence a release of a restricted area. This restores flow to the cerebrospinal fluid and over all function to the system. The CranioSacral system is comprised of cranial bones, the sacrum and the membrane that connects the two of them.
WHAT IS THE CRANIO SACRAL RHYTHM?
Just like your heart has a rhythm (the pulse) so does the CranioSacral system. The cerebrospinal fluid is produced by the body continuously. It fills the membrane that wraps the brain and spinal cord, and the pressure increases. As the pressure increases the body absorb the fluid to modify the pressure. This self regulating in and out flow of fluid causes a wave or pulse call the craniosacral rhythm.
HOW DOES CRANIOSACRAL WORK?
With a light pressure on the body a practitioner assess for a weak or asymmetrical cranial rhythm. A light induction of pressure is applied, which is the mechanical stress that causes an electrical stimulation in a nerve. The nerve, in turn tells the tissue to release. This is called the Piezo electric response, which is found and works throughout the body and in other matter (bones, tissue, DNA, ceramics, metal,etc).
WHY DOES THIS WORK?
CranioSacral uses the bodies natural ability to self heal by bring the person to a deeply relaxed place where the bodies sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response) is very low and parasympathetic nervous system (rest and repair response) is in charge. This is where the body can do it’s maintenance and self healing. This along with the releasing of restrictions and balancing of the rhythm is the foundation of this work.
• Increased sense of relaxation
• Improvement of the symptoms you came to see the practitioner about.
• Improvement of other symptoms. (i.e. Someone coming for treatment for a bad back can find that, as well as their back pain easing, the migraines they have had for years have got better too )
• Change in behavior patterns, leading to an improvement in relationships with friends, family, colleagues, etc
• Greater capacity to manage life in general
• Better management of specific disease symptoms
• Reduced stress
• Improvement of psychological issues
• Reduction of effects of past trauma
• Improved sense of well-being
Some reasons why people have gone to CranioSacral Therapists (not limited to these):
• Migraines and Headaches • Chronic Neck and Back Pain
• Autism • Stress and Tension-Related Disorders
• Motor-Coordination Impairments • Infant and Childhood Disorders
• Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries • Chronic Fatigue
• Fibromyalgia • TMJ Syndrome
• Scoliosis • Central Nervous System Disorders
• Learning Disabilities • ADD/ADHD
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder • Orthopedic Problems
• And Many Other Conditions
WHAT IS A SESSION LIKE OR HOW DOES IT FEEL?
Each practitioner is different, each individual and there issues are different, and each session can be different. In general, after an health intake and conversation of you needs you would lie face up fully clothed on the table. A hands on assessment is down work begins. A light pressure about the weight of the hand is felt and sessions will last 30 minutes to 90, most commonly is 60. Clients have expressed feeling: deeply relaxed, similar to just before falling asleep but aware, some will sleep, a flush of circulation or energy moving, softening of tissue, movement of the area or bones (often face or cranium), warm or cool sensations, tingling, pulsing (before a release), floating, melting of the tension, etc